Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Tip for the Struggling Fashionistas: Don't Forget the Basics




:::: Quick Style Tip:::: Dresses are a no brainer. Can't decide what to wear? Don't fret with a two piece, throw on a dress and instantly feel stylish.


Tannya,

Love your website and think your blog is a great idea!

I am finally at a place in my life where I want to invest time in how I present myself to the world, but have neglected fashion for so long I don't have good shopping habits to develop a wardrobe that reflects my personal style. More specifically, over the last year I have added 20-30 statement/investment pieces to my wardrobe that I absolutely love, but I don't have anything to pair with them to complete a look. So even though I have spent the last year buying pieces to improve my wardrobe, when I go to my closet I still feel like I have nothing to wear! It seems that purchasing pieces here and there that I love is not translating to an actual functional wardrobe. How should I change my shopping approach to create a wardrobe?

-Struggling Fashionista



Dear Struggling Fashionista,


The number one fashion dilemma my clients run into is they open their closet and feel like they have nothing to wear.

You are on the right track shopping for statement pieces that you love, but really ask yourself what you love about them. Is there a bridge from your statement pieces to your everyday pieces?
Here is how you should start to define your personal style:



1.) Try on all your clothing, yes all of it. Ask yourself what you like or don’t like about what you are wearing. This will help you understand yourself a little more. Be critical, do not stick with items because you invested a lot of money on it.



2.) Get rid of clothing you haven’t touched, clothing that doesn’t fit right at the moment. Also make a pile of clothing that could be tailored to fit better and clothing you love.



3.) You will notice a commonality in all the clothing you love. Whatever it is, drapped clothing, romantic styles, edgy look, or simple and chic, always purchase items that fall into that similar essence.



4.) Do realize that your investment pieces should be the clothing you wear the most. To often clients forget that the basics are what tie their wardrobe together. The basics are different for everyone depending on your personal style but the common ones are black pumps, a nice boot, ballet flats, blazer, trench coat, crisp button up, cardigan, white tee, you get the drift :-)



5.) Don’t get caught up in wearing a sort of “costume” every time you are seen. It is a fashion trap that some fashionistas fall into. It just shows others you are confused with style, I promise you it will make your life more difficult when getting ready and it will take a huge chunk of your money wearing one time pieces.



6.) Make a list when you shop and shop less. Having a workable wardrobe doesn’t mean having a huge walk in closet that looks like a boutique (although that would be nice!!!!!) a workable wardrobe is being able to interconnect your pieces and looking stylish yet effortless.



7.) LASTLY…fashionistas take risks. Don’t save your favorite pieces of clothing for special events. Wear them more often and combine them with your everyday wear! If you have a favorite t-shirt pair it up with a blazer or statement necklace. If you have a favorite expensive cardigan, wear it with a tank top, roll up the sleeves and add a wide legged jean.
If you continue to struggle doing this yourself, having a wardrobe stylist go through your closet will provide a much needed cleansing. The experience will help you better understand your style, fix a scattered wardrobe, provide a cure for making shopping regretful, and you get photos of all your outfit combinations to keep for a reference.



“Know first, who you are; then adorn yourself accordingly.” Epictetus



-Tannya Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment